How to collect delinquent payments of child support

Divorced couples have a lot they need to find common ground on, including who will have custody of the children and how much child support will be paid by one spouse to the other. The child support issue all depends on if the couple has joint custody or one parent has sole custody and the other has vis itation rights. It is common for people to become delinquent with paying child support.

When a parent fails to make child support payments, the other parent can seek collection of those payments using one or more of the following methods:

- Liens issued against real estate or property

- Wage garnishment

- Reporting the debtor to the credit bureaus

- Jail time

- Issuance of an order of contempt

- Freezing bank accounts

- Suspending personal or professional driver's licenses

Should there be more than one state involved in a child support issue, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) outlines jurisdiction. The guidelines are as follows:

- Other states have to defer to the order of child support issued by the court in the home state of the child.

- The place where the order was issued is granted continuing exclusive jurisdiction.

- Modification requests can only have the law of the continuing exclusive jurisdiction state applied to them,

- An order can be mailed to an out-of-state court by a custodial parent asking for help in enforcing the order.

- An order can be mailed by a custodial parent to the employer of the non-custodial parent seeking wage garnishment.

Under New York law, a letter is sent to the parent who has been delinquent in paying child support that outlines the process and a time frame for making payments. Depending on the length of time payments have been missed or the outstanding amount, the state could garnish wages, suspend a driver's license, intercept unemployment insurance and much more.

Vis it our site today to learn more about child support and collecting delinquent payments in Newburgh, New York.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Get Started

Get Started

Call our law office at 845-234-4852 or fill out the form below to arrange a consultation with a lawyer.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • America's Top 100 Attorneys
  • 10 Best 2018 | client satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
  • NYSBA New York State Bar Association
  • Super Lawyers 2018
  • Top 100 Trial Lawyers | The National Trial Lawyers
  • National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers NACDL 1958