Larkin, Ingrassia & Tepermayster, LLP
Need Help? Call Today

Father arrested over custody dispute

The father of a 3-year-old boy has been arrested and is facing unspecified criminal charges after allegedly taking his son without the mother's consent. This particular child custody dispute occurred in another state, but this incident is one that may seem similar to the situations of other parents in New York and across the country. When a child custody dispute arises, what are the options for custodial and non-custodial parents?

Child custody matters can quickly get out of hand, and it is not uncommon for custodial and non-custodial parents alike to need help with resolving the problems. A custodial parent may wonder what can be done when a non-custodial parent fails to abide by a current court order. In the case of this 3-year-old boy, the child's mother was able to provide authorities with a custody order showing that she has sole custody. Police arrested the boy's father, and the child was returned. Seeking the assistance of authorities is not always necessary, but it is a possibility if a non-custodial parent has taken or refuses to return a child.

For a non-custodial parent, desiring access to one's child is understandable. Unfortunately, not sticking to a custody order can result in criminal charges similar to the ones being filed against the father in this case. This is why taking the appropriate legal steps to have custody orders modified is so important. Seeking to have increased parenting time approved in court can help non-custodial parents avoid any legal repercussions and possibly result in those parents receiving the custody arrangements that they desire.

Enforcement issues and seeking modifications can both be difficult to tackle. However, both custodial and non-custodial parents in New York can seek assistance regardless of what side of the table they are on. With legal help, parents can resolve a custody dispute as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Source:, "Man accused of parental kidnapping after taking child from mother in Pontiac", Dave Phillips, Jan. 26, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Can Help Fill out this form to contact our team of experienced attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Offices located in Newburgh and Middletown | Se Habla Español | Connect With Us:

Newburgh Office
356 Meadow Avenue
Newburgh, NY 12550

Toll Free: 877-278-5062
Phone: 845-234-4852
Fax: 845-566-5148
Newburgh Law Office Map

Middletown Office
626 East Main Street
Middletown, NY 10940

Toll Free: 877-278-5062
Phone: 845-234-4852
Middletown Law Office Map